Elor Azaria has been tried by an Israeli military court and found guilty of manslaughter after murdering a helpless Palestinian alleged to have attacked and wounded an Israeli solder. Unfortunately for the Israeli military who condone such attacks, this murder was captured on a mobile phone, shared and went viral.
The killer last March, Elor Azaria, was actually an Israeli Army medic. He was filmed firing a bullet into the head of Abed al-Fattah al-Sharif, a 21-year-old Palestinian, as he lay wounded on the ground in the city of Hebron.
After Azaria's arrest, there was an outpouring of sympathy for the soldier from the Israeli public, politicians and fellow soldiers.Netanyahu and many ministers have called for him to be pardoned. A Jerusalem Post poll shows a large majority calling for the killer to be released.
Aida Touma-Suleiman, a Palestinian member of the Israeli Knesset, told Al Jazeera there was a growing fear in Israel that its soldiers might one day face scrutiny from bodies like the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Although the army top brass needed to act to assert control of the murder machine against do-it-yourself elements like Azaria, the trial was also largely for appearances sake, suggested Touma-Suleiman:
"In a clear-cut case like this, it is important for Israel to look as though it is taking war crimes seriously, otherwise the ICC might itself decide to investigate. But the case has caused problems because it has upset right-wing politicians and much of the Israeli public, who expect absolute impunity for soldiers."
The defence case in other - extremely rare - examples of Israeli soldiers tried after a flagrant execution of a helpless Palestinian has been that "confirming the kill" is standard operating practice in the Israeli Army. Israel has been practising murder of innocents since its inception. The father of the nation, David ben Gurion was clear on the need for the Army to use terror against civilians.
"What is necessary is cruel and strong reactions. We need precision in time, place, and casualties. If we know the family, we must strike mercilessly, women and children included. Otherwise, the reaction is inefficient. At the place of action, there is no need to distinguish between guilty and innocent."
Ben Gurion's Diary entry, 1 January 1948
Any settler-colonial project has a built-in tendency to genocidal violence, that may or may not become actual. Israel demonstrates increasing levels of support for genocidal violence against Palestinians.
0795 800 2591
Even before the latest UN-commissioned and UN-suppressed report on Israel, an Israeli journalist has nailed aspects of current Israeli society that led Israeli Army Deputy Chief of Staff Yair Golan to identify trends in current Israel society reminiscent of Nazi Germany in the 1930s. Maj. Gen. Golan made the observations while speaking at a Holocaust Memorial event in Israel.
There is a proposal from the Tories, LibDems, Labour and the SNP to make comparisons of Israel and the Nazis a criminal act, leading to workplace sanctions, e.g sackings. Personally, I think it is more useful to compare and contrast Israeli settler colonialism wih the ultra-violent, often genocidal, settler regimes that Europeans set up in Australia, Namibia, Rhodesia, Argentina, the USA and elsewhere. The genocides in the Belgian Congo and the mass killings in British Kenya would also prove useful. No honest historical investigation should be criminalised in the way our political parties want, however, but critiqued and any errors pointed out. We invite any supporters of (the crimes of the state of) Israel to point out any inaccuracies of fact or faulty conclusions in the list below. We will publish any such claims.
Israeli society today is poisoned by
1. The rising number of calls proclaiming, “Death to the Arabs!”
2. The demands not to employ “Arabs”, buy from them or rent or sell apartments to them, and drive them from the Holy Land (all sanctified by the Rabbinate and other kosher rabbis, naturally).
3. The growing thuggishness that labels every Arab a legitimate target for insults, abuse, assaults, vilification and, if possible, manslaughter.
4. A soccer team that swears its ranks will include only those of pure blood and religion, and whose fans’ most popular chant is “Death to the Arabs.”
5. A society that produces pogrom-like actions and lynch mobs, church and mosque arsonists, and plenty of thugs and scoundrels.
6. Elected officials encouraging extrajudicial killings on our streets.
7. An MP (and his wife) openly demanding racial segregation between Jews and Arabs in maternity wards.
8. Spiritual leaders who publish books that determine when it’s acceptable to kill gentiles and their children. These religious leaders still tend their flocks.
9. A movement that defends the purity of the people and its blood, and persecutes lecherous Arabs who dare consort with Jewish women in order to defile them. On his Facebook page, the head of this holy movement calls for the mass murder of Arabs knowing no harm will befall him.
10. Tens, if not hundreds or thousands, of businesses boasting of employing Jews only.
11. The chief Sephardi peddler of religion who declared, “Goyim were created solely to serve the Chosen People.” His noble predecessors determined that only Slavic nations were created in order to serve the then-master race. Our religious pastor surpasses them: he deemed all nations our servants.
12. The education and culture ministers, who work tirelessly to synchronize education, culture, the media and arts, so everyone speaks in unison about one people, one state, one Torah and one viewpoint.
13. The brilliant legal sophistry that prohibits Arabs from purchasing state lands. Only Jews may do so.
14. The hundreds of communities that meticulously ensure the purity of their chosen population. Arabs may not enter their gates lest they cause contamination by their very presence. All of this is legal.
15. The Absentee Property Law, which regulates the assets of Palestinian “absentees” even when the “absentees” are clearly present and living a stone’s throw away. Only the laws of Chosen People have clauses relating to “absent-present” persons whose presence doesn’t detract from their status as “absentees.”
16. The fact that the assets of Jews remain theirs forever, even after thousands of years of abandonment that exceed any statute of limitations. In contrast, the assets of the Palestinian Arabs – even when they’re still holding them – will be confiscated, stolen, expropriated and transferred to the "Jewish State". Just as our magnanimous Lord in heaven decreed.
17. A society that controls millions of “inferior” people who lack civil and human rights, downtrodden by a mechanism called the “Civil Administration” and headed by a general.
18. A state that locks up a million and a half people in a gigantic enclosure, unsure whether to call it “Pale of Settlement” or the “Gaza Ghetto.”
19. A regime that imposes a grotesque legal system upon millions, which doesn’t require evidence and shows no truth, justice or compassion. However, the system does have a “court” – a contemptible theatre whose main purpose is to give a “legal” and “authorized” appearance to a military dictatorship.
20. A justice minister who goes out of her way to crush the legal system, liberating the rulers at last from oppressive legal constraints.
21. A government that rules an occupied people, and sometimes its own subjects, according to emergency regulations that give it limitless authority “for security reasons.” (Damn, I wish I could remember where I’ve heard of this trick being used before.)
22. A state – unique among all the world’s democracies – in which there’s no legal way for a Jew to marry a non-Jew
23. A government that wholeheartedly believes in the Chosen People’s right to continue expanding eastward. This space extends from Mesopotamia to Nuweiba.
24. A state that insists it’s the “only democracy” in the Middle East, whereas it’s actually the only “military theocracy” in the entire world.
25. A state that proves pop psychology is occasionally accurate in its diagnosis: an abused child can indeed become an abusive adult.
The origianl article is written primarily for an Israeli audience and so some synonyms have been deployed in the list above. The meanings however have been retained.
QWest Calder 2 March 2017
Mass demonstration of Israeli Jewish youth calling for the mass murder of Palestinians, Arabs. Many of the Whiteshirts are serving soldiers with power of life and death over Palestinians.
The demonstration was to celebrate the "reunion of Jerusalem", by spitting at Arabs, by standing in front of a mosque and chanting "Death to Arabs", " Muhammad is dead", " Butcher the Arabs", " I hate all Arabs" and " Listen well you Arabs ! we don't want any making-up ! the refrain will always continue, May your village burn down, May your village burn down !"
If an equally vile mass demonstration had taken place anywhere in the world chanting "Butcher the Jews!", we would have known about it.
A Nazi is a Nazi is a Nazi - these young men are the Israeli equivalent of Nazis, who are put in ISraeli Army uniforms and given power over Palestinians in occupied Palestine.
Genocidal demonstrations in Tel Aviv
Watch this short video to see into the genocidal mindset of a huge swathe of Israeli Jewish public opinion. The Zionist project to build a normal state following the ethnic cleansing of Palestine has come to this. A mass psychology of extermination, familiar in all settler-colonial projects, is winning masses of Israelis.
Israel is not just lethal to Palestinians and aggressive towards neighbouring states, this nuclear-armed state is based on an ideology, morphing from its original secular rationalisations to religious fanaticism, thit's the world is irreversibly saturated with hatred of Jews. Watch the video, be very worried, and then get involved in support for the people of Palestine.
Letter to the New York Times: New Palestine Party Visit of Menachem Begin and Aims of Political Movement Discussed (1948)
To the Editors of the New York Times:
Among the most disturbing political phenomena of our times is the emergence in the newly created state of Israel of the "Freedom Party" (Tnuat Haherut), a political party closely akin in its organization, methods, political philosophy and social appeal to the Nazi and Fascist parties. It was formed out of the membership and following of the former Irgun Zvai Leumi, a terrorist, right-wing, chauvinist organization in Palestine.
The current visit of Menachem Begin, leader of this party, to the United States is obviously calculated to give the impression of American support for his party in the coming Israeli elections, and to cement political ties with conservative Zionist elements in the United States. Several Americans of national repute have lent their names to welcome his visit. It is inconceivable that those who oppose fascism throughout the world, if correctly informed as to Mr. Begin's political record and perspectives, could add their names and support to the movement he represents.
Before irreparable damage is done by way of financial contributions, public manifestations in Begin's behalf, and the creation in Palestine of the impression that a large segment of America supports Fascist elements in Israel, the American public must be informed as to the record and objectives of Mr. Begin and his movement.
The public avowals of Begin's party are no guide whatever to its actual character. Today they speak of freedom, democracy and anti-imperialism, whereas until recently they openly preached the doctrine of the Fascist state. It is in its actions that the terrorist party betrays its real character; from its past actions we can judge what it may be expected to do in the future.
Attack on Arab Village
A shocking example was their behavior in the Arab village of Deir Yassin. This village, off the main roads and surrounded by Jewish lands, had taken no part in the war, and had even fought off Arab bands who wanted to use the village as their base. On April 9 (THE NEW YORK TIMES), terrorist bands attacked this peaceful village, which was not a military objective in the fighting, killed most of its inhabitants240 men, women, and childrenand kept a few of them alive to parade as captives through the streets of Jerusalem. Most of the Jewish community was horrified at the deed, and the Jewish Agency sent a telegram of apology to King Abdullah of Trans-Jordan. But the terrorists, far from being ashamed of their act, were proud of this massacre, publicized it widely, and invited all the foreign correspondents present in the country to view the heaped corpses and the general havoc at Deir Yassin.
The Deir Yassin incident exemplifies the character and actions of the Freedom Party.
Within the Jewish community they have preached an admixture of ultranationalism, religious mysticism, and racial superiority. Like other Fascist parties they have been used to break strikes, and have themselves pressed for the destruction of free trade unions. In their stead they have proposed corporate unions on the Italian Fascist model.
During the last years of sporadic anti-British violence, the IZL and Stern groups inaugurated a reign of terror in the Palestine Jewish community. Teachers were beaten up for speaking against them, adults were shot for not letting their children join them. By gangster methods, beatings, window-smashing, and wide-spread robberies, the terrorists intimidated the population and exacted a heavy tribute.
The people of the Freedom Party have had no part in the constructive achievements in Palestine. They have reclaimed no land, built no settlements, and only detracted from the Jewish defense activity. Their much-publicized immigration endeavors were minute, and devoted mainly to bringing in Fascist compatriots.
The discrepancies between the bold claims now being made by Begin and his party, and their record of past performance in Palestine bear the imprint of no ordinary political party. This is the unmistakable stamp of a Fascist party for whom terrorism (against Jews, Arabs, and British alike), and misrepresentation are means, and a "Leader State" is the goal.
In the light of the foregoing considerations, it is imperative that the truth about Mr. Begin and his movement be made known in this country. It is all the more tragic that the top leadership of American Zionism has refused to campaign against Begin's efforts, or even to expose to its own constituents the dangers to Israel from support to Begin.
The undersigned therefore take this means of publicly presenting a few salient facts concerning Begin and his party; and of urging all concerned not to support this latest manifestation of fascism.
ISIDORE ABRAMOWITZ, HANNAH ARENDT, ABRAHAM BRICK, RABBI JESSURUN CARDOZO, ALBERT EINSTEIN, HERMAN EISEN, M.D., HAYIM FINEMAN, M. GALLEN, M.D., H.H. HARRIS, ZELIG S. HARRIS, SIDNEY HOOK, FRED KARUSH, BRURIA KAUFMAN, IRMA L. LINDHEIM, NACHMAN MAISEL, SEYMOUR MELMAN, MYER D. MENDELSON, M.D., HARRY M. OSLINSKY, SAMUEL PITLICK, FRITZ ROHRLICH, LOUIS P. ROCKER, RUTH SAGIS, ITZHAK SANKOWSKY, I.J. SHOENBERG, SAMUEL SHUMAN, M. SINGER, IRMA WOLFE, STEFAN WOLFE.
New York, Dec. 2, 1948
The struggle between Israel and the Palestinians is not unique -- whatever the news media may suggest. Lorenzo Veracini argues that the conflict is best understood in terms of colonialism. Like many other societies, Israel is a settler society. Looking in detail at the evolution of other colonial regimes -- apartheid South Africa, French Algeria and Australia -- Veracini presents a thoughtful interpretation of the dynamics of colonialism, offering a clear framework within which to understand the middle east crisis.