Tue 12th July 2011; NO EMBARGO
DEPORTED BRITON: “
A Scot deported from
Around 700 internationals had intended to travel to
Napier was deported on Monday night along with an 83 year-old member of Jews for Justice for Palestinians, John Lynes.
Napier, chair of the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign, and UK co-ordinator of the Welcome to
“We were snatched, held, and expelled without any explanation. Despite repeated efforts, we were unable to find out what we were supposed to be guilty of. It was a situation of lawlessness.
“There has been much misinformation suggesting that we came here to demonstrate in the airport and cause disorder wherever we went. The office of Prime Minister Netenyahu said, ‘This planned event is a continuation of the attempts to undermine
“In reality our protest was simply to refuse to conceal our intention to go to the West Bank town of
“If anything has undermined ‘
Notes for editors:
Photos are free to use.
Background, previous media releases, and updates here:
1. “Welcome to
The English-language section of the French website can be accessed here: http://bienvenuepalestine.com/?page_id=232
According to the group:
However, having nothing to hide, and coming with totally peaceful intentions, we have decided that we are no longer willing to lie in order to do something that no other state would consider illegal.
Government agencies have been informed, and the Israeli authorities have been forwarded all information on our intentions.
Contrary to claims that we aim “to spread chaos at Tel Aviv airport”, our only aim is visit Palestinian families, share their daily life for a week, visit the towns, villages and refugee camps, discover the difficulties encountered by their inhabitants, and experience their culture and expectations.
2. Organisers of the
The ICJ ruling on the illegality of
3. The UK co-ordinator of the initiative is Mick Napier, who, along with the majority of international participants, was due to arrive in Ben Gurion Airport on Friday July 8th.
Mick Napier is the chair of the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign, and can be contacted on:
00 44 (0)7931200361
4. Sofiah Macleod is the UK-based contact for press enquiries.
Sofiah Macleod: + 44 (0)7958002591 or + 44 (0)131 620 0052 or + 44 (0) 7401631658
5. Details of the
6. Updates available at: www.scottishpsc.org.uk and
Twitter @scottishpsc : http://twitter.com/#!/scottishpsc
7. Jerusalem Post on honesty ensuring deportation:
“700 pro-Palestinian activists plan to land in Ben-Gurion”
8. Quote from New York Times reference criticism of Israeli leaders’ overreaction:
New York Times, 8th July 2011
9. Details of Jerusalem Post reporter, Larry Derfner’s arrest:
10. Jerusalem Post report of arrest of Israeli Activists:
“Aharonovitch: 100 activists expected to land in
11. Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netenyahu “has ordered Public Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch to exert all efforts to prevent an infiltration into
Haaretz, Wednesday 6th July 2011:
12. Statement from Netenyahu’s office:
"This planned event is a continuation of the attempts to undermine Israel's right to exist and to attempt to breach its borders and sovereignty by sea, land and by air," according to the MAAN news agency.
Maan News Agency, Tuesday 5th July 2011:
13. For Desmond Tutu’s support of an arms embargo on
13. Haaretz, Thursday 7th July 2011: