13-15 August, Glen Prosen youth hostel / camping in Scottish highlands
‘Ideas for a Successful Palestine Solidarity Campaign’
7.00pm Israel & Palestine - introductory discussion
- What is Israel? A settler colonial state? Apartheid? Something worse? Democratic?
- Is Israel guilty of ethnic cleansing and/or genocide?
- The US-Israeli relationship – Is Israel still a strategic asset to the USA?
- Israel/Palestine and the wider drive to war
- (How) Can Palestinians ever win their freedom?
- Palestinian resistance – civil society & the BNC
- Resistance – Hamas & Hezbollah
- Palestinian self determination, the ‘two-state solution’, and alternatives.
- What is the Palestinian Authority?
11.00am Palestine solidarity in Britain
- What is our role now that Israel is widely seen as a pariah state
- How do British political formations line up on the issue of Palestine?
- Does the UK Israel lobby determine UK policy?
- British Government complicity abroad and repression of solidarity at home
- The JNF
2.30pm Campaigning issues
- Who are our audience?
- How do we relate to the Media?
- Lobbying elected representatives
4.30pm Reflections on the event so far
- Zionism from Herzl to Netanyahu
- The JNF, Histadrut and other Zionist para-Statals
- Zionism – right & left
- Zionism & anti-Semitism
12-1 Reflections on the event
Suggested reading list for those in a hurry!
Israel: a settler colonial state
Racism in the State of Israel and the World Zionist Movement, Israel Shahak
Is Israel guilty of ethnic cleansing and/or genocide?
The US-Israeli relationship – Is Israel still a strategic asset to the USA?
Palestine solidarity and the wider drive to war
- The Decline of the Anti-war Movement, the Issue of Palestine & Arab Resistance to Occupation, SPSC delegates to Cairo Conference, 2008
Palestinian resistance – civil society & the BNC
- The Palestinian Resistance; Its Legitimate Right and the Moral Duty, Samah Jabr
- Let’s Talk about Resistance, Natalie Abu Shakra
- Mercaz HaRav - a training centre for illegal occupation, murder and "Arabs to the Gas Chambers" , Mick Napier
- Hezbollah becoming more visible in West Bank after assassination of its military chief, The Associated Press March 13, 2008
- How Hezbollah Defeated Israel, Part 3, Alastair Crooke & Mark Perry on Winning the Political War
- In Search of Hezbollah, Adam Shatz
Palestinian self determination, solutions
- Declaration of One Democratic State Group
- Chomsky argues two-state solution is possible and desirable
- Ilan Pape and Noam Chomsky debate the issue
- The Fading of the Two-State Solution, Yacov Ben Efrat
- Israelis and Palestinians:Conflict and Resolution, Mosh´e Machover
What is the Palestinian Authority?
- Up against the wall: challenging Israel's impunity, Jamal Juma', The Electronic Intifada, 24 February 2010
- PA undermined Turkey's push for UN flotilla probe, Asa Winstanley, The Electronic Intifada, 22 June 2010
Palestine solidarity in Britain: What is our role?
Are we a human rights campaign only?
A peace campaign?
How do British political formations line up on the issue of Palestine?
LibDems - ???
Does the UK Israel lobby determine UK policy?
How do we relate to the Media?
- 20 no-go areas for the BBC on the issue of Israel & Palestine, Stuart Littlewood
- David Miller, Caught in the Matrix
Zionism – before the rise of Hitler
Zionism – right & left
- 'Left' Hapoel Tel Aviv - the 'left wing' of ethnic cleansing and genocide
- 'Right' Rabin's Murder Rooted in Zionism's Violent Legacy, Donald Neff
Zionism & anti-Semitism