11 February 2008
Enforcers of illegal occupation are training Scottish police
Israeli operatives market ‘anti-terrorism’ expertise as tested on Palestinians
"[360 Defence's chief trainer is] a graduate of Israeli forces notorious for their human rights violations, including murder, massacre, torture, kidnapping, and even bank robbery. Israeli death squads are openly admitted by the Israeli military – they have killed hundreds of resistance fighters and innocent civilians in the nightly raids into refugee camps, towns and villages in Palestine. Israel, where torture of Palestinians is widespread and systemic, is the only government in the world to legalise the practice."
People in Scotland have a right to be safe from the kind of terrorist attacks we have seen at Glasgow Airport and on the London Transport system. We need the widest public discussion of possible responses to terrorist attacks against innocent civilians here in the UK.
Hiring Israeli soldiers of an illegal occupation, whose attacks and killings of innocent Palestinian civilians are well-documented(1), is not part of any solution and can only make matters worse. It flies in the face of widely held views in the UK and across Europe(2) that Israeli crimes are a fundamental contributor to the crisis in the Middle East.
British citizens were horrified at the police execution of a wholly innocent man, Jean-Charles de Menezes, on a London tube train. Scottish police forces should keep offers of Israeli ‘assistance’ at arms length, given the Israeli record of massacring hundreds of wholly-innocent civilians. Their so-called ‘war on terror’, is a euphemism for Israel’s widespread application of terror tactics(3) in their effort to wipe out all Palestinian resistance
Israeli company 360 Defence of Helensburgh (4)
- uses trainers from Israeli Special Forces
- delivers course in Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness & Edinburgh (at ‘the Police Club, 28 York Place’)
- trains Scottish Police forces
- claims its ‘Instructors are still active in Units and services in Israel’
- offers ‘direct tuition from visiting Israeli Instructors’ who receive regular ‘direct training in Israel’
- boast that ‘All training is based on real world experience...such as the 2006 Lebanon War and operations in the Israeli Occupied territories’
The Head of their training, Amnon Maor:
- is head instructor of ‘counter-terrorism warfare for the Israeli Army & Police’
- served in ‘one of the elite counter-terrorism units of the Israel Police’ which he joined ‘In 1988, at the onset of the intifada (the Palestinian uprising),
- Without any sense of irony, Maor bills himself as an ‘international terrorism expert’.
And well he might, as a graduate of Israeli forces notorious for their human rights violations(5), including murder(6), massacre(7), torture(8), kidnapping(9), and even bank robbery(10). Israeli death squads are openly admitted by the Israeli military – they have killed hundreds(11) of resistance fighters and innocent civilians in the nightly raids into refugee camps, towns and villages in Palestine. Israel, where torture of Palestinians is widespread and systemic, is the only government in the world to legalise the practice(12).
Phil Reeves reported, for example, in The Independent: Israel death squad defies call for truce:
“Eye-witnesses said Israeli forces shot dead Ahmed Khalil Assad, 37, pumping more than 20 bullets into his head and torso as he left his home in Artas village, close to Bethlehem, early yesterday. The Israeli army denied all knowledge, but it rarely comments on its assassinations, which have been repeatedly condemned as illegal by international human rights groups.” Independent(13)
Journalist and author, Naomi Klein (Guardian 16.06.07) points out that Israel has learned to market its expertise in the ethnic cleansing and murder of Palestinians as a commodity in the ‘war on terror’. Palestinians are not just being killed for resisting Israeli crime: they are also guinea pigs for Israel’s ‘security industry'. Gaza and the West Bank are not just concentration zones for masses of refugees: they also function as a laboratory for Israel’s main growth industry.(14)
Join Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign and oppose Israeli death squads here in Scotland.
Public opinion is much more with us than with them!
360 Defence Limited
20 East Argyle St
Argyll & Bute G84 7RR
360 Defence have now removed virtually all references to Israel from their website.
They claim now to have relocated to 616 Mitcham Road, Croydon with only a mobile phone number - 07050 1997 10 - given. All the quotes above were taken from their website prior to it being cleaned up.
- EU poll: Israel 'biggest threat' to world peace
- From the beginning: January 1, 1948, David Ben-Gurion, the founding father of Israel, wrote: "What is necessary is cruel and strong reactions. We need precision in time, place and casualties. If we know the family -- [we must] strike mercilessly, women and children included. Otherwise the reaction is inefficient. At the place of action there is no need to distinguish between guilty and innocent.”
- from http://360defence.co.uk
- The Israeli Recipe For 2008: Genocide in Gaza, Ethnic Cleansing in the West Bank http://www.scottishpsc.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2125&Itemid=404
- One woman killed and forty injured in an Israeli air strike on Gaza city http://www.scottishpsc.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2111&Itemid=404
- Death on the beach: seven Palestinians killed as Israeli shells hit family picnic
- Israeli government report admits systematic torture of Palestinians, Guardian11.02.2000) http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,235756,00.html
- Hundreds of Palestinian 'suspects' have been kidnapped from their homes and will never stand trial
- U.S.: Israel's raid of Ramallah banks could destabilize PA banking system
- Israeli death squad disarmed men and shot them, Independent 15.12.01
- Report: High Court permits torture of Palestinians
- Israel death squad defies call for truce
- How war was turned into a brand, Naomi Klein, Guardian 16.06.07
Israeli soldiers beat a Palestinian taxi driver before arresting him at a checkpoint near the West Bank city of Ramallah, 11 January 2007. (MaanImages/Fadi Tanas)
Israeli border police attack a Palestinian woman
|Israeli soldiers and "border police" arresting a Palestinian child.||
January 7, 2003 - Ziyad a-Shaloudi, age 15, who was beaten after trying to prevent a soldier from touching his sister-in-law. He was then held for nine days and indicted for assaulting a soldier.
|April 25, 2001 - Israeli soldiers stranglehold a Palestinian boy in the West Bank town of Hebron.
Photo credit: Loay Abu Haykel, © Reuters
|June 10, 2002 - Israeli border policemen kick and punch a Palestinian protestor who, along with other Palestinian citizens, attempted to prevent construction on Palestinian owned land in East Jerusalem.
Photo credit: Yannis Behrakis, © Reuters
January 19, 2004 - Razkallah al-Misri in the hospital with broken feet following a beating by Border Police officers.
Israeli soldiers posing for photos with a murdered
|Israeli border police beat an Arab Israeli on Monday, on the second day of clashes between residents of the Israeli Arab town of Umm El-Fahm and police in protest over land confiscation for an Israeli army firing range (photo: AFP)|